Welcome to the Pomona Social Cognition & Interaction Lab!
The challenges of racial, ethnic, and cross-cultural integration are among some of the most contentious and complex of the 21st century. Work in our lab explores how dynamics of everyday interactions impact intergroup relations. Much of our research is guided by two interrelated questions: (1) Why do people seek or avoid intergroup contact?; and (2) How do social categories and social identities shape our attitudes, impressions, motivations, and beliefs in everyday social interactions? To explore these and other questions, we use a variety of methods, including laboratory and field experiments, and dyadic and longitudinal approaches.
SCI Lab News!
- Three SCI Lab members, Kajung Hong, Jun Park, and Charmaine Garzon, will present at the Western Psychological Association conference in Portland (abstracts here). Congratulations KJ, Jun, Charmaine, Maddy, Danielle, and Kristin!
- Registration is now open for the 28th Annual Claremont Symposium on Applied Social Psychology, “Diversity Science: Emerging Perspectives for the 21st Century,” organized by Adam and Jenessa Shapiro, to be held March 1 at Claremont Graduate University. For speakers and registration information, click here.
- Adam and Co-Chair Jon Schuldt’s upcoming SPSP symposium on how groups impact sustainability is featured in SPSP news (see here and here)
- SCI Lab member Charmaine Garzon among 45 of 500 applicants selected to attend the Harvard Kennedy School 2014 Public Policy and Leadership Conference. Congratulations, Charmaine!
- Adam and Jack Dovidio presented their work on intergroup fluency at the Sydney Symposium of Social Psychology in July. For a “hot-off-the-press” overview, see here
Upcoming Symposia and Talks:
Pearson, A. R., & Schuldt, J. P. (Co-Chairs). The sociality of sustainability: How (and when) groups impact environmental cognition and behavior. SPSP, Austin, TX, February, 2014.
Pearson, A. R., West, T. V., & Stern, C. (February, 2014). Motivational mindsets in intergroup interaction: The role of perceived anxiety in contact avoidance. SPSP, Austin, TX.
Pearson, A. R., & West, J. (February, 2014). Does Green = White? Race and the face of environmentalism. SPSP, Austin, TX.
Kukenberger, M., & Pearson, A. R. (May, 2014). How stereotypes and diversity cues shape individual and team leadership. SIOP, Honolulu, HI.