Welcome to the Pomona Social Cognition & Interaction Lab!
The challenges of racial, ethnic, and cross-cultural integration are among some of the most contentious and complex of the 21st century. Work in our lab explores how dynamics of everyday interactions impact intergroup relations. Much of our research is guided by two interrelated questions: (1) Why do people seek or avoid intergroup contact?; and (2) How do social groups influence our impressions, motivations, and beliefs in everyday interactions? To explore these and other questions, we use a variety of methods, including lab and field experiments, and dyadic and longitudinal approaches.
SCI Lab News!
- Former SCI lab member and lab coordinator Maddy DeMeules joined Kristina Olson’s Social Cognitive Development Lab at the University of Washington as their new lab manager. Congratulations, Maddy!
- SCI lab members Kajung Hong, Jun Park, and Charmaine Garzon presented at the Western Psychological Association conference in Portland (abstracts here). Congratulations KJ, Jun, Charmaine, Maddy, Danielle, and Kristin
- Registration is now open for the 28th Annual Claremont Symposium on Applied Social Psychology, “Diversity Science,” organized by Adam and Jenessa Shapiro (UCLA). For a conference schedule, see here
- Adam and Jon Schuldt’s SPSP symposium on how groups impact sustainability featured in SPSP news (see here and here)
- SCI lab member Charmaine Garzon among 45 of 500 applicants selected to attend the Harvard Kennedy School 2014 Public Policy and Leadership Conference. Congratulations, Charmaine!
Pearson, A. R., & Schuldt, J. P. (Co-Chairs). Bridging Social Divides on Sustainability: New Vistas for Psychological Science. Association for Psychological Science, New York, NY, May, 2015.
Pearson, A. R., & Romero-Canyas, R. (Co-Chairs). Motivating Sustainability through Motivation Science: Evidence from the Lab and Field. 8th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Motivation, New York, NY, May 21, 2015.
Pearson, A. R., & Schuldt, J. P. (May, 2015). How Race and Ethnicity Impact Environmental Engagement. Paper to be presented at the 8th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Motivation, New York, NY.
Pearson, A. R., & Schuldt, J. P. (May, 2015). Beyond Politics: Which Identities Matter for Climate Beliefs? Paper to be presented at the Association for Psychological Science, New York, NY.
Schuldt, J. P., & Pearson, A. R. (May, 2015). Beyond Politics: Exploring the Role of Race/ethnicity and Environmentalist Identity in Climate Change Beliefs. Paper to be presented at the International Communication Association Post-Conference on Climate and Sustainability, San Juan, Puerto Rico.