Become a BFF of the BFS – Volunteer at the Bernard Field Station!
Please join us to help maintain, improve, and study the unique ecological resources of the Bernard Field Station! During the academic year, we hold volunteer work days on the first and third Saturday of every month to remove introduced weeds and invasive brush, clear trails, assist with ecological monitoring, and carry out other activities that facilitate study and research at the field station. We invite all who care about our local environment to join us. No experience is needed! Because access to the BFS is restricted, volunteering is a great way to visit the BFS and learn more about the field station while helping out.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have, in accordance with Claremont Colleges protocols, implemented a number of measures for the 2021-2022 academic year to ensure that all volunteers have a safe experience. One of these is that we will no longer be able to offer pizza or other communal eating. Although the socializing and pizza lunch or other refreshments are will be sorely missed, volunteers can still enjoy the BFS, socialize at a distance, and know they are helping the environment. In addition, volunteers will know that by observing the public health measures, they are doing their part to end the pandemic.
Requirements for volunteer workday participation:
- Only those 15 and older may volunteer at this time.
- All participants must preregister with our online registration form.
To ensure that everyone can work safely and have a meaningful experience, the number of volunteers per workday is limited, so be sure to register early so that you are not closed out!
- Waivers of liability are required for everyone not affiliated with the Claremont Colleges.
Everyone who is not an employee or student of the Claremont College must sign a liability waiver. Waivers for minors need to be signed by a parent or legal guardian. You may download the waiver form, sign it, and bring it with you. We will also have forms available when volunteers arrive.
- All participants must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
You may scan or photograph your vaccination card or use a digital vaccine record, which is easy for Californians to get in one of two ways:
- If you were vaccinated in California, you probably received an email from Healthvana that has a link to your digital record. The subject email may be “Second Dose Vaccination Details”. Click the link and voila! It the link has expired, they’ll send you a new one. You can download i to your phone.
- If you can’t find a Healthvana email, go to https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/, fill in the required fields, and you’ll get a link to a digital copy of your vaccine record that you can download to your phone (use Apple Wallet for iPhones or Google Pay for Android phones).
You may bring your paper or digital record to the workday, or you may scan, photograph, or take a screenshot of your record and email it ahead of time to the BFS Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All participants must complete the COVID-19 Daily Health Check.
For location, select “Campus General” (scroll down, the locations are listed alphabetically). The form should be filled out on the day of the workday, and in any case, no sooner than the previous day. Anyone who has COVID-19 symptoms, a positive or pending COVID-19 test, or a known COVID-19 exposure, or who is in quarantine will not be allowed to participate.
- All participants must wear a face mask or cloth face covering.
The mask must should fit snugly and cover both the nose and mouth.
- All participants must maintain a distance of ≥6 feet from other participants not in their household.
The work area will be organized to facilitate physical distancing.
- Any participant who develops COVID-19 symptoms or has a postitive COVID-19 test in the week following the workday must notify the organizers.
This is required so that we can notify other participants of a possible exposure.
Workdays are usually on the first and third Saturday of each month (and sometimes the fifth Saturday in months that have one), but may occasionally be held on other days. The usual times for the workdays are:
- September through mid-May: 9:45 AM–12 NOON
- Late May through June: 8:45 AM–11 AM
- July and August: No workdays
Schedule of BFS Workdays 2021-2022. Please note that plans are tentative – workdays may be canceled or rescheduled for weather or other issues! Check back for updates!
|September 18, 9:45 AM||Cutting back cattails in pHake Lake||12|
|October 2, 9:45 AM||Cutting back cattails in pHake Lake||12|
|October 16, 9:45 AM||Cutting back cattails in pHake Lake||12|
|November 6, 9:45 AM||Cutting back cattails in pHake Lake||12|
|November 20, 9:45 AM||Clearing the lake trail||12|
|December 4, 9:45 AM||Outplanting in the Foothill Blvd parkway||12|
|December 18, 9:45 AM||No workday – winter break||–|
|January 1, 9:45 AM||No workday – winter break||–|
|January 15, 9:45 AM||No workday – winter break||–|
|February 5, 9:45 AM||TBD||12|
|February 19, 9:45 AM||TBD||12|
|March 5, 9:45 AM||TBD||12|
|March 19, 9:45 AM||TBD||12|
|April 16, 9:45 AM||TBD||12|
|May 7, 9:45 AM||TBD||12|
|May 21, 8:45 AM||TBD||12|
|June 4, 8:45 AM||TBD||12|
|June 18, 8:45 AM||TBD||12|
Meet at the main BFS entrance on Foothill Blvd promptly at the start time of the workday. Wear long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, closed-toed shoes, and a mask. Instructions, tools, and supplies will be provided, but do bring water and sunscreen.
For more information or to be notified of volunteer workdays, please contact the BFS Volunteer Coordinator, Nancy Hamlett, at email@example.com.